Sept 8 – Lazy Day

Today we slept in late (at least I did, poor Jen is having trouble finding a comfy position to sleep in) and hung out in the room for a while. Our plan was to head over to a lunch place Jen had read about and then get gelato at Per’s favorite place, then ride the double-decker tour bus to get a complete sense of Florence and Fiesole. This is not exactly how the day turned out. And the reason I think is wine.

We got to the lunch restaurant before they opened, so we started shopping in the area near the restaurant. Jen got more shoes (the ones I wanted but they didn’t have in my size – it’s okay cus in Florida I got the shirt she wanted so now we’re even).

We also went to the Farmacia. This is a fun experience in Italy. In Italy what you do is show the Pharmacist your malady and they pick out what you should use. In my case, it’s mosquito bites. Jen has none – I have about a dozen. I keep claiming it’s because I’m so sweet – she just rolls her eyes.

Lunch was pizza. Really really good pizza and wine – really really good wine. So as we left the restaurant the plan to ride the bus was scrapped in favor of the hotel room.

On the way back to the hotel we went into a paper store and met the nicest shop owner, turns out he was in San Diego when he was a student twenty years ago. He really liked us and insisted on us taking some notebooks as his gift. We also bought some beautiful paper we found in the store. (Yes mom, I bought more paper – but it’s from Italy!)

As you may have read on the way home Jen fell flat on her face. You may think that I’m being harsh in describing it. If she had gotten hurt I would be more sensitive, but the truth is, it was the funniest thing that has happened on our trip so far. Once we knew she was okay we both started laughing so hard and couldn’t stop. You know when you laugh so hard and for so long your abs start to hurt – that’s what this was like. You should have seen her laying on the ground – it was unreal.

The rest of the day has been a lazy siesta and a lovely dinner at an outdoor café down the street from our hotel (very yummy and we had the cutest waitress). We had our first tiramisu tonight - and yes more wine, but since the walk home was only 100’ I thought we could handle it.

I think we’re both starting to mentally shift into the process of going home – Jen’s actually packing right now. We’ve started talking about things we miss (mainly our dogs) and what we’re going to do when we first get home – and what we’re going to eat. We have a 1pm train to Rome tomorrow – the plan is to do a little (more) shopping before we go.

My next post will be from Rome – and hopefully I can finally upload all our photos.

Ciao,

☺ K

No comments: