Sept 2 – Roman Nightlife

After our siesta this afternoon we waited for it to get dark and then headed to Campo di Fiori for a late dinner. Jen had figured out that we could catch the 116 bus from Termini (near our hotel) since the metro doesn’t serve Fiori, but when we got to Termini we could not find the 116 bus (there are like 30 bus routes that come to Termini and 116 was no where to be found) – we ended up taking a taxi with this adorable young driver who didn’t speak a word of English, his cab smelled like baby powder (I know that’s weird, but we liked it).

Jen had wanted to go to La Carbonara for dinner, but had read it was closed on Tuesdays. When we got to Fiori, we were delighted to find it open. It was packed but we chose to wait even though other restaurants had tables. We were seated about 9:15pm. It was totally worth the wait.

At a charming patio table right on the edge of the piazza we had our first real Italian meal – we shared everything rather than over doing it and it was perfect. The gnocchi was particularly memorable as were the roasted potatoes that came with our lamb. It reminded us both of a fabulous dinner we had atop Mount Hood together years ago. Jen and I have eaten in some amazing places together and this ranks among the best of all time.

After dinner we followed a walking route outlined in Jen’s favorite guidebook that was designed to show us the best of Rome at night. This walk included Campo di Fiori, Pantheon, Piazza Novano, Trevi Fountain, and the Spanish Steps. Along the way we took a detour for our second gelato of the day. We finished our walking tour just after midnight and all of the areas were still bustling with people.

Rome at night is very busy and there are lots of vendors & panhandlers out (at Trevi they were especially pushy). Even with all that craziness, this city at night is so incredibly beautiful and romantic (no Jen didn’t hold my hand) – that we each threw a coin into Trevi and wished to return to Rome soon (a tourist’s tradition).

Today was remarkable – this place is so charming, I feel very blessed to be here.

(I added tonight’s photos to the Sept 2 slide show – click here to view them)


:) Kristin

Addendum: Jen reminded me I forgot to mention that at lunch today I experienced my first Roman flirtation. Our waiter touched me and then purred (he actually purred) and then called me “my love” – don’t worry I’m not giving my heart away to an Italian waiter (and for those who are wondering – I swear I’m still not moving to Italy).

No comments: